A place for my knitting ramblings ...

3.31.2009

Doll Quilt in the works

I have been working on my doll quilt using the tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew. I am so happy that I took on this project! I am learning a lot as I go and quilting on a smaller scale is the perfect way for me to figure out how it all works. I should have been taking pictures all along to show you my progress, but this is the only picture I have.

At this point I had pieced together each row, but I hadn't sewn the rows together yet or added the sides, top and bottom pieces. In the meantime, I basted it and then free motion quilted. I watched a few online videos of free motion quilting and stippling and made some sandwiches to practice on. I was nervous about ruining my quilt, but after some practice I got more comfortable decided to just go for it! Last night, I cut the fabric for my binding, so I am in the home stretch.

In order to complete this little project, I had to acquire some new tools in additional to my new skills ... an acrylic ruler, a rotary cutter and a darning foot. It is so fun to acquire new tools, especially when they make life so much easier.

I love this rotary cutter ... it is my very last minute entry for Heather Bailey's March of the Tools.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger tracyb said...

Required tools for quilting: a good rotary cutter, a big plastic ruler, and a ruled cutting mat, must haves - your doll quilt looks awesome, your corners are meeting up and everything! You'll have to teach me how to free motion quilt, I've always wanted to learn!

March 31, 2009 8:02 PM

 
Blogger Ms. Melissa McDermid said...

Quilt looks great --- way to go!

April 01, 2009 5:45 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

who knew quilting required special tools? You have been crafty-busy! Thanks for saying "hi" on my abandoned blog...

April 11, 2009 10:08 AM

 
Blogger Miri Mack said...

Ooh, that's looking lovely. I think it's very wise to start with a small project like that. Once I wanted to become a quilter, I bought everything, but became overwhelmed with the idea of a blanket sized project.

May 18, 2009 8:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home